Thursday, January 22, 2009

Bringing yoga back, yup


Yesterday I went to cycling in the morning, went home worked for a couple of hours then I attended for the first time Fitness Yoga at my gym. I love yoga, and having access to a yoga studio in Colorado with anything from Vinyasa to Hatha to Yin yoga I miss it all the time. I would go 2 times a day.

My gym centers more around the "fitness" aspect of yoga and doesn't offer specific types....only Hatha (My town has a lot of senior citizens who upon seeing the word Vinyasa will run far away from any class) So I sucked it up and said how bad could it be? I can't live life resenting these things.My feelings...

The class was a wake-up to my flexibility levels even though it was basic. She did a lot of hatha exercises but also did the holding of the warrior poses and tree pose (my favorite). I admit I need to get back into it any way possible. And doing it at home is so hard for me, I get sidetracked. Living at Shambhala deepened my ability to zone out during yoga and meditate during the practice so clearing my mind last night was also great. Though it's not pushing me as hard as the Colorado studio, I feel I'll attend again next week. I do love pilates and will also continue practicing that:)

As for my body, my shoulders and hip abductors feel like somebody banged into them with a ton of bricks. Yay for triangle poses!

So yoga is back, because I actually don't care what type I'm doing just as long as I am. I escape to my happy place during it.

Went to Zumba this morning, saucy as usually and did 10 minutes of legs. Off to meet my best friend for a slice of pizza then laundry and some work. Yeauhhh.....

And now one of my favorite quotes by Sakyong Mipam Rinpoche (I met him, well he blessed me at a ceremony so kinda!)

"Many of us are slaves to our minds. Our own mind is our worst enemy. We try to focus, and our mind wanders off. We try to keep stress at bay, but anxiety keeps us awake at night. We try to be good to the people we love, but then we forget them and put ourselves first. And when we want to change our life, we dive into spiritual practice and expect quick results, only to lose focus after the honeymoon has worn off. We return to our state of bewilderment. We're left feeling helpless and discouraged. It seems we all agree that training the body through exercise, diet, and relaxation is a good idea, but why don't we think about training our minds?"
— Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche

No comments:

Post a Comment