Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Country music would make a good boyfriend

So I flipped on the radio today and have been on a Bob Dylan kick, so I switched to my country radio station and immediately found myself smiling, daydreaming, tapping my hands on the steering wheel... I don't know why this was happening. It was like I heard a silent Pavlovian bell in the drums beats of the song and guitar twang and endorphins started running through me. I do normally listen to some country, I don't stereotype any music, & THIS SONG was what did it to me:



I know the lyrics in country music aren't hard to decipher or interpret like a tori amos or shins song, but I appreciate country's ability to give me an emotion that is simple and happy. Sometimes too many "deep introspective poetry infused imagery induced songs" make me think too much. I start questioning the meaning of life, my love life, life's little mysteries, to be or not to be, etc... I absolutely LOVE poetic and beautiful lyrics, but sometimes I want to simply hear a song like Keith Urban's "You look good in my shirt", cause man it would be nice if someday a guy really thought that, or Kenny Chesney's "We were brave, we were crazy, we were mostly young", and Jessica Andrew's "Just one stop at the ATM grab a hundred bucks and a real good friend", one-liner from her song "Good Time". This does not include depressing "emo" caliber country songs that talk about drowning in whiskey bottles and having all my exes live in Texas..... But even THOSE songs have an up-front way of getting their pain across.... no davinci coding, WTFs from those guys.......

Country music, if morphed into human form, would definitely make a great boyfriend. It's no-nonsense, to the point, simple, romantic in a bearable cheese factor level, climatic (I'm talking about the choruses! dirty dirty) and full of life. He could kill bugs & serenade me to sleep with a guitar. He would question my need from "Madden" shoes, wondering when Joe Madden converted to a shoe stylist, but it wouldn't matter. He would love me for the simple things. For me, dating "country" would be ideal right now in my life. I've been with the "Indie/Folk" genre, "Classic Rock", even the unclassifiable "Maroon5/Third Eye Blind/Goo Goo Dolls" bores, and I was not impressed. So bring on a guy like country music and I'm sure I'll be smiling, daydreaming, having fun, without trying to interpret anything. Ye haw.

No comments:

Post a Comment