Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Running on empty

You know the feeling you get when your car is on E and you literally can feel it slowly dying but you keep driving because you want to see how far it really can go??? Well....... that's how I felt running today.

I have come down with some sinus/congestion/sore throat/stuffy head sickness and felt like death this morning. I knew I should have taken it easy, but the race is 11 days away and I need to get my butt in gear. My sister and I went to the gym and did an hour long strength class. We did this one move called "The Scarecrow" that was one of the harder arm exercises I have ever done. I actually found pictures of it online so here's the gist of it:



It may look deceivingly simple but it hurts like hell. I had 8 pounds in each hand and you can feel the rotation and the muscles moving around it when working this. A VERY good exercise, worth the pain.

Then I decided to push through my stuffy head and run until I couldn't run any farther. I have this problem with pacing myself, because I get impatient running at a comfortable pace, but then I burn out by mile 2. That is exactly what happened today. I did 2 miles in 21:20, which wasn't too good but whatever. I felt like death. I think next time I run I am going to focus solely on pace and not outdoing myself before it's over.

I went to the library, and although it had a lot of good healthy eating/fitness books, I opted for indulgent books right up my alley:
Reclaiming Paris by Fabiola Santiago
Reclaiming Paris starts off like this:
“Men are like perfumes. In an instant, with nothing but a whiff of a judgment, I either love them or discard them,”
.... Basically I KNOW I am going to like this book.



Bob Dylan: Chronicles by Bob Dylan

I usually steer clear of autobiography's because what better person to tell your story then yourself? This book is far from a tell-all, just a book Dylan wrote about events and times in his life that stood out. I love love love Bob Dylan and it'll be cool to have a 1st person perspective on his life.


Is anyone reading a good book out there? I'll let you know how these are. I am also reading The Host, but I need a break from tumultuous aliens and futuristic settings for a bit.

I made another Pacific Natural soup for lunch and had a piece of bread with Sabra Hummus on it. Also a juicing mixture for a drink my sister made.

It's gorgeous here today, a little cold. I have a job interview tomorrow and hopefully it will go well. Let's hope I'm running on a full tank by tomorrow.

Have a great Tuesday,
Erin

Mediation of the Day

Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own.” Charles Scribner, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment