Thursday, December 11, 2008

Venison Menison

So I offered to make my Dad a minestrone soup (with venison) and little did I know how friggin' time consuming it was cutting the meat. It must've taken me 3 hour to cut the 5 pounds of meat. I was dying. As it turns out though the soup was delicious! I would make it again as a vegetarian soup because the flavor is there! Here's my recipe (I quadrupled it though):

Ingredients1 lb. venison steaks or 1 lb. beef roast
Olive oil
1/4 cup hot water
salt & pepper
1 med. onion, chopped
1 cup frozen lima beans
2 cup celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic
4 cups beef broth1 (15 oz.)
can great northern beans, drained1 (14 oz.)
can diced tomatoes
1 small bag of julienned carrots
1 tbls dried parsley
1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp salt1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried thyme
2 cups hot water
2 cups frozen corn
1/2 cup egg noodle pasta
cup of flour

In a skillet, heat a few tablespoons of olive oil. Add the venison doused in flour and brown on all sides. Add 1/4 cup of hot water, salt and pepper. Cook over very low heat for 20-30 minutes or until the steaks are cooked through and very tender. Allow to cool. Set aside.

In a skillet heat a few tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Saute until the onions are translucent. Add the beef broth, beans, tomatoes, carrots and spices. Bring to a boil. Add the venison, 2 cups of hot water, frozen veggies and pasta (if desired). Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the pasta is cooked.

Without cutting the meat it would've taken me a half an hour. My Dad LOOOVED it. He had been working outside and he said it warmed his bones. If you have a venison lover this is a great hearty soup!

--- Well, besides the soup, Zumba was amazing! She even played my favorite spanish song "Volare". I ate a peanut butter crunch bar today than had a small bown of soup because....

Tonight is VIP Benihana! My best friend Kim is working there and got me my sister tickets to a VIP tasting of all the food for free! So yeah, I will be having sushi and prob. a seafood hibachi meal tonight, hence the small amount of food today.

All in all it was a day of learning experiences and fun. Off to Benihana.

No comments:

Post a Comment