Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My Story

So this is the beginning of my (next) journey. It's safe to say I am a little nervous and a lot excited. I had been reading all my favorite healthy living blogs for a while and got inspired to write my own. Now, a lot of the blogs I had been reading are seasoned healthy conscious people so my blog deters from that slightly. I have been going to the gym on and off since 14, but as you know college/boyfriends/life happened and I've strayed from the healthy girl I once was. My struggle has always been balance. To remain happy while indulging and enjoying life AND remaining healthy! Here's my fitness/healthy time line (I'll begin right before college (2003) (obviously my thinnest):(Front in white)
Freshman year I was looking not so bad, BUT getting to college was FREEDOM! No more boyfriend (we ended our relationship a year prior to this), no more parents and A LOT more drinking and eating!! I would order out 3 nights out of the week and drink 4 of those nights. I remember not caring how unhealthy I was because I was having fun.
(In the front in orange)
Sophomore year (2004/2005) everything changed. I got in trouble for drinking and had to pay a hefty fine. It was a wakeup call for me and also the beginning of my downward spiral. I became obsessive with school, working out and also dated a guy and we broke up. I was stressed and felt alone. I only had one good friend and my other roommates turned against me for various reasons (they had friends that I did not like, we were on different paths, had different goals, drama...drama). I lost 35 pounds the UNHEALTHY way by barely eating anything good and working out to exhaustion. I would eat but I feel the stress contributed to my crazy weight loss. I was sad and that was the bottom line.
That summer I had never looked so good. My sadness slowly went away because I was surrounded by good friends, fun atmospheres and became my fun-loving self again. I gained 15 pounds, but still was happy.

Junior & Senior years my weight was up, but this was the time of my life. I did well in school, had great friends and starting figuring out who I was (and I was single (FREEDOM). My weight was not my
priority, and I was busy. I interned and was graduating and did not kept track of it. I was my heaviest (Second from left in brown shirt)

~~~~~ I GRADUATE (Spring 2007) and decide it's time for something crazy. HELLO COLORADO!!!"

I moved to Colorado because I always wanted to live there and began working and became my own. I biked everywhere, went to the gym almost everyday and got really into yoga. I was so flexible and my mind, body and soul for once was all in tune with each other. I finally was happy and felt fit.

....Unfortunately I was surrounded by delicious cafe's, breweries, restaurants etc.. so occasionally I would indulge, sometimes too occasionally! I was in a good place, loved my job, house and atmosphere, but still wanted to lose about 30lbs.
I ended up losing about 10 pounds the right way. (on the left)

Speed up to this summer. I got offered a VERY unconventional job working at Shambhala Mountain Center in the mountains of Northern Colorado. I took it and moved into a tent and got to take part in daily meditations, yoga, classes and live in the beauty of the mountains. At the center they prepared every meal for you, all organic all healthy and I had a balanced diet AND was walking at least 8 miles everyday through
out the center. I lost 15 pounds and was not drinking, watching TV etc.. It felt GREAT! I was really into meditating and working on getting centered. It was a once in a lifetime experience and has made me appreciate so much more.
I attended my best friend's wedding in July and had an epiphany. I missed my family and friends. I was homesick. I was sick of the new. The summer job came to an end and I was at a loss as to what to do. My job beforehand was not paying me enough and I had dreams to see so many more places all over the country and world in my future. All through Colorado I was working soooo much and could not enjoy it. I wanted to come back there someday and get to live my life when I could live comfortably.

So.........I packed up my mountain life and traded it for the comforts of my hometown in NJ! (Parents house to be more exact). Since being home I have been indulging a lot in food and drinks! I DID backpack with my Dad and sister and lost probably like 5 pounds.(August 2008)

My sister lives at home and goes to college so I knew I have a companion, AND my good friends still live close.
Since being home, I have maintained my weight, but had not been working out due to no funds and no gym membership. Recently, my mom graciously got me a year's membership to an amazing gym nearby and I've been going almost everyday ever since. In recent picture I notice I look bigger than I did in the summer and am motivated to get down to a healthier weight. My sister is a great motivator being that she has lost sooo much weight over the year.October 2008 - Lara Croft Tomb Raider-)
So here I am. PHEW! I am currently job hunting, have a couple projects going and may begin work at a production company in January (all things permitting). It's been a crazy couple of years and I am back where I started at home. It has literally been a journey of ups and down, highs and lows and I feel being at home I have the time and energy to lose this weight and eat healthier.

Looking through all the pictures ends so many mixed emotions and feelings through me and also makes me proud of what I have accomplished in the last 5 years.
December 2008 (Getting the Christmas Tree)

I hope this next journey proves just as fulfilling as my past ones, and the path to a better me helps me grow even more:)

Thanks for reading,
Erin



Update - March 2009 - Lost 5 more pounds:) Second from right @ my friend's bachelorette party:

No comments:

Post a Comment