Thursday, April 9, 2009

Gardening: Labor of Love

Happy Thursday! I woke up this morning to a beautiful day outside, and knew I had to get my garden started before the storm tomorrow. Instead of "shredding" I was "hoeing, shoveling, raking and sifting". My goal was to plant the overdo peas and sift the soil for the square foot bed. Here's how it looked about 3 quarters done (don't you love my swet random outfit?):It may not look like a lot of work, but I had to loosen the grass, which was pretty rough. Then add the dirt wheelbarrow style, add the peat moss, get out any rocks/debris, oh and the ROOTS, they got served:













Smooth as a baby's bottom:
I then nailed in the ropes to square off the plot, and this is how it turned out:I had already done arm work yesterday at the gym, but nothing prepared me for this work!

I decided to use the square root gardening method for many reasons. If you are interested in learning more, click here. It's pretty interesting. I still have another bed to do and maybe more.

I passed my goal of just peas and ended up planting:
  • 2 types of Peas
  • Spinach
  • Loose leaf Lettuce
  • Romaine
I have my cells inside which include, tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, jalapenos, summer squash, peppers & parsley. I also am waiting until I am sure the frost is over to plant radishes & cilantro. One day at a time...

So there ya have it. After 7 hours (phew), I completed my first square foot garden plot. The first garden is always the hardest, because you are literally starting from the ground up. No pre-tilled soil. I definitely got a taste of how the next plot will be.

I love gardening because it is a process that you get to be a part of from beginning to end. Theres something crazy about planting a seed the size of a flea and it growing into food. I cannot wait to have fresh veggies & I'll keep my fingers crossed that they actually grow!

Food
In honor of my plot of peas & leafy greens, I made a salad of...peas and leafy greens with lite h/m dressing...YUM. I also had a chicken, basil lean cuisine. For dinner, my dad smoked a turkey and I made a spinach/rice casserole. My mom made veggies & squash.

I am sunburned, tired, sore, but totally fulfilled by my gardening adventures today. I hope you all had a great Thursday.

P.S. Don't be afraid of gardening...it may seem daunting, but it's like anything you start. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature. Even if you have a little window garden, or pot plant. Just tending to one will be worth it in the end. Trust me.

Meditation of the Day

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment