Sunday, April 5, 2009

Done Right

The first year I lived in Colorado, I experienced the biggest snow storm of the century. In all, 3-4 feet of snow.

This was also the first year that I wasn't working in TV news, so on the first day of the storm, I dug my car out of a foot of snow and went to work. No one was there. Apparently, when you don't work in news - you stay home in a foot of snow. In news - you get your sorry butt to the station! and tell the city that it's too dangerous to be out.

Most of the city was snowed in for 2-3 days. Some of the suburbs were stuck longer because they were outside of the city snow removal plan.

When one of my co-workers came back after digging out for 5 days - she complained about cabin fever. Oh it was just awful, they were trapped in their house for 5 days!

My ponderings:
"You were trapped with your husband."
Yes.
"The man with whom you are trying to have a baby?
Yes.
"And you were bored."
Yeah, it was awful.
"Uh, speaking as a single woman - you're doing it wrong!"

She didn't appreciate my perspective in the slightest!

Present day:
I had a date with the new guy on Friday night. It went very well. We talked about my driving to his town on Sunday to visit. It was, after three dates - my turn on the interstate.

Forecasters had predicted a nasty storm Friday night - but it didn't hit. They blamed a sneaky front and said it was coming Saturday afternoon instead.

Here is where the story gets a little unbelievable. He called me Saturday morning with the suggestion that I come down early and get snowed in with him.
(stunned shock)
When a man conjures up such a romantic thought - my tendency is to jump in and see how it plays out!
(Disclaimer: He has a "mother-in-law" apartment connected to his house - so I knew I would sleep there and remain chaste!)

So I drove down, let him make me dinner and start a fire in the fireplace. We snuggled on the couch all night, talking, ahem -kissing and watching the snow fall. I don't think I've ever experienced such a romantic setting! Pinch me.

I slept in the apartment and awoke to morning light bouncing off the snow and streaming into the windows. Outside, was a glorious scene of fresh snow circling all the looming Poderosa Pine trees on his property -nothing else in sight- their spiky shadows cast about in shades of grey on the fluffy, undisturbed snow. Gorgeous!

And that - ladies and gentlemen - is how to properly get snowed in.
Results may vary if you are blessed with the Sacrament of Marriage - wink wink.

No comments:

Post a Comment