Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Do You Double Your Pleasure?


Upon walking out of the theatre after seeing Inception I turned to my wife and said “I would definitely see that again in theaters!” It then dawned on me that despite seeing a fair number of films over the course of my life. There are only a handful of films that I have actually seen more than once in the theaters:

The Matrix - I remember seeing this with a friend while home from university one weekend. After being blown away by the special effects I could not stop thinking about the film. I ended up seeing it again a few days later with some of my university pals when I got back in town.

Magnolia – I saw this film as part of a double bill with the Talented Mr. Ripley over the Christmas holidays in 1999. It was only playing in one cinema in Toronto, The Paramount, at the time before it expanded wide a week or so later. After spending over 5 ½ hours in total in the theatre many were surprised that I would be willing to endure another 3 hours of Magnolia a mere week later. Yet that is exactly what I did, again with some university friends, once I returned to school. As I have mentioned before Magnolia is one of my all-time favourite movies so I would still see it again in the cinema if it is ever rereleased in the future.

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones – I am not a big fan of this film, though I think it works if you eliminated all the love scenes. The film would only be a half an hour but I digress. The main reason that George Lucas was able to suck more money out of my pockets was because I wanted to see the differences between the digital projection of the film compared to the regular version that I originally watched.

Borat– Technically I have seen this film two and a half times in theaters. I originally saw this at the midnight madness screening at TIFF in which Sacha Baron Cohen was in attendance in full Borat character. Unfortunately the film projector broke down about twenty minutes into the film and the screening was rescheduled for the following night. After laughing to the point of tears, it was my first experience with Cohen’s brand of humour, I was eager to see if I would still find the film funny when it opened officially in theatres a few months later.

Will Inception be added to this list? Possibly.  It depends on how my schedule plays out over the next few weeks. But the question I have for you is...

What movie(s) have you seen more than once in the theater?

No comments:

Post a Comment