Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Meditation talk

It's funny when you transfer an activity that barely gets recognized verbally and sit down with people and talk about it, what crazy things happen. Yesterday, I attended a Dharma/Mediation talk after work to reconnect myself to meditation. We talked about not having any preconcieved notions about it and not trying to reach a goal. Everyone admitted to having stuggled, and it helped to hear everyone's confessions. It was a good class.

Last summer, I meditated 3 times a day almost everyday, and since getting back home and being in my comfort zone/distractions galore, I hadn't gotten back to it.

Since moving here, I feel it calling to me again. I feel my mind quieting already, but also yearning for meditation with myself.

Since arriving, I've noticed ways I have been actively changing my pace of life. They are simple, but make a world of difference when contributing to stress.

Being mindful. Listening to people and beign aware of my surroundings. So many times I'm thinking about my destination and don't even look up to see what's around me.

Walking slower. I walk reeeeally fast. I'm learning to slow down.

Talking slower. Self-explanatory

Eating slower. Scarfing down a lunch all summer while in the midst of serving people was no way to eat.

Listening and not having to interject after every statement. Sometimes you can add to someone's story by giving your opinion or your own story, but I find it takes away from the other person. I've been trying to take what people are telling me and not try to make my own point.

Being here has been great so far. A way easier transition than Shambhala, (maybe not living in a tent has something to do with it, ha).

So I know a "Meditation Talk" is kind of an oxymoron, but it works.

Kind of like life... Living in the present and the constant stuggle of putting the past in the past and trying not to anticipate the future.

Have a great day,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment