Monday, August 9, 2010

Bad Timing and Great People

I've been turning something over and over in my head.

It's part of a conversation I had with McTwitchy - we were talking about timing - and how we're both in tough places career-wise. He questioned the wisdom of starting a relationship right now. I understand what he is saying.

My response asserted that when you find someone that you can really connect with, you have to see how it goes. I mean, why be alone your entire life just because of bad timing?

He said, "Yes, but there are a lot of great people out there." Suggesting that you don't get just one shot.

This astounded me. I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, "No there are not!!"
Where are all these great people he's talking about? Is he saying that I'm not that special? I was completely bewildered. What IS he talking about?

Finally it occurred to me: OH! HE'S NOT DATING MEN. HE'S DATING WOMEN! He has a completely different perspective!
From where he stands there are a lot of really great people out there. Plus, he can date anyone 5 years older than him to 20 years younger. His pool is deep and wide.
And in general - just nicer people.

From where I stand... not so much! Sure, I can date the same age range - but I don't want to!
20 years younger than me is younger than my nephew! Yuck!
5 years older than me is - well old. And divorced. And paunchy, old, womanizer-type men. Not to mention the young womanizer-type men.

Oh, the inequity!

No comments:

Post a Comment