Sunday, March 14, 2010

Thoughts for Sunday...


Today's scripture and homily was on The Prodigal Son. We are all familiar with the story. And we are all familiar with the "good" brother, who had stayed home and remained faithful to his father. He was jealous and upset when his brother, the prodigal son, returned and that was celebrated. Of course, the "good" brother just didn't realize his worth to his father, his rewards that were always there for him. But of interest, Father said that we all suffer from the Prodigal Son Brother syndrome. And, I know I sure can. I need to realize that I am not the neglected, but the blessed, in the same way as the brother in the scripture.

I really think my thoughts this Lenten season have been focused on improvement, understanding, graciousness and acceptance. I need to focus more intently on those and remember them daily. As a couple of administrators in my building say, everyone brings something to the table; everyone has a gift to share. So instead of complaining and griping or gossiping or getting caught up in that type of conversation, I need to focus on what each persons' gifts, and give thanks for those gifts. I know I am guilty at times of only seeing the bad, only griping about something. I need to be better at acceptance and graciousness.

The cardinal sins are wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy and glutton, and oh, they are so easy to commit! I need not be jealous or envious, but truly glad for others' accomplishments and gains. I do not need to be prideful, or greedy, or any of these things. I hope that I can truly live to be the best Elsie-Helen I can be, knowing that I am human, with my human faults.

Thanks for letting me ramble today. I think I am on a personal journey of some sort, and just need my road map to become clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment