Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Miss Erin


The theme of my twenties thus far, definitely includes a mild case of schizophrenia. I have worn countless hats since graduation:

Wedding Videographer
Make-up artist
Whitewater rafting information guide
Waitress
Meditation Enthusiast
Media Relations Assistant
Sugar Bowl videographer
Open Mic Singer
Kundalini yoga enthusiast
Bread-maker
Bridesmaid
Barista
Gardener
Wine-o
Micro-Brewery Bike Traveler
Backpacker
Runner
Zumba-er


I have also been many places (places I have lived are respectfully asterisked:

Cross country twice
Colorado*
Tent in Colorado*
Wyoming
Massachusetts*
Florida
The Greater Surrounding Tri-state area*
Ontario, Canada
New Hampshire
Vermont
New Orleans, LA
Nashville, TN

I never would have guessed that after all my adventures, jobs and trips I would be starting a job tomorrow 30 minutes from my hometown, at the school where my mom has worked for 13 years, where I will be referred to as Miss Erin. That, my friends is the biggest diversion in the chronicles of Erin so far.

I am going to be a teacher's aide for a student at a school for emotionally challenged children. The past 2 years I have had so much focus on me, me, me and what I want to be and where I want to go that I forgot one of the most important lessons I have learned in my 24 years of life. Nothing compares to the feeling of simply reaching out and helping others. This new path may serve as a catalyst for a career change, or it may not. I may be great at it or I may not. But in the process, you bet I will do my best to be a shining light for these kids' often dark lives.

Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity.
Buddha

No comments:

Post a Comment