Thursday, October 29, 2009

A day of contemplation and creativity

Today was one of those days you know you will remember for a while….

I woke up, ate breakfast and joined about 10 volunteers and staff members on a hike to a cemetery/Indian burial ground from the 1700-1800s. We got there, centered ourselves and decided to explore in silence, which added to the quiet, desolate and surprisingly peaceful atmosphere of the cemetery. It was a beautiful place. The mountains outlined the landscape and the stones were silhouetted on two huge mounds of earth. Some of the tombstones were corroded with moss and cracks in them, but they signified a life lived so long ago. Other stones were elaborate and included quotes and the age they were when they passed. There were so many people who were under the age of 10 that passed back then. One stone stood out to me. It was a man who had lived to be 98, back in the late 1700s, his inscription read “Solider of the Revolution”. He had survived the war and lived to be 98 in one of the most trying times in our history. Other tombstones of girls my age were also pretty jarring. It was such a contemplative and complacent morning. We all agreed that there was a certain energy there… When I got back I did a yoga class and ate.

Then as soon as I walked into work, I had my creativity flowing. I decided to create a Halloween costume in an hour before the work Halloween party. So, what did we do in the Marketing building? Made me a present billboard for our “Free Nights” promo going on. You can see the ad here http://kripalu.org/ . Here’s a picture of my ensemble:



Creativity at it’s best. We used paper clips for the suspenders and Derek in graphic design printed out the actual banner. It was a lot of fun and nice to let out some laughs throughout the day… Good times.

My day went from one of deep spiritual contemplation to an all out, creative party in my office.

All in the spirit of Halloween:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment