Thursday, February 17, 2011

Forgiveness Continued...

Since I have been thinking of forgiveness lately, I found an interesting article on the links between forgiveness and health. It is amazing how holding onto envy, pain, grudges, and resentment affects a person's emotional and physical health! Here is a link to an article from Mayo Clinic: Forgiveness: Letting Go of Grudges and Bitterness.

One thing that I found interesting in the article was:

"Forgiveness doesn't mean that you deny the other person's responsibility for hurting you, and it doesn't minimize or justify the wrong. You can forgive the person without excusing the act. Forgiveness brings a kind of peace that helps you go on with life."

I think a lot of times we don't forgive because we cannot excuse the act. It is good to know you can forgive without excusing. But, in that, we must move onward.

Another thought within the article that I find trouble doing at times, which makes good sense to do:
"Move away from your role as victim and release the control and power the offending person and situation have had in your life. As you let go of grudges, you'll no longer define your life by how you've been hurt. You may even find compassion and understanding."

I hope you find the article enlightening...I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment