Tuesday, February 2, 2010

And So it Goes

When I called my parents the other day, Dad had some news.

He finally went to see an attorney about drafting a will. (Gee Dad, ya think you should get on that at age 77?) He wanted to know what I thought about some of the provisions. My family doesn't have much money, but my parents want to be fair.

As Dad explained some of the terms, he paused and said, "Well, what's going on in your love life?"
(I have to laugh because my dad stays completely OUT of my dating life. He's so precious to have never taken a position about me ever getting married or not!!)

Me: "We just broke up."

He stepped over it as a simple piece of information and explained that, barring (or despite) any changes in my marital status he's arranged for anything to go to Mom first, then to us kids - and whether I would have a husband or not, when I'm gone my share would go to the grandchildren. My nieces, nephew and great-niece.

Is that okay with me?

Absolutely. That's exactly what I would have suggested.
Nice to know we think alike.

But then for a split second - I was sad that even in this stage of the game it's a foregone conclusion that I won't have a husband or children.

No comments:

Post a Comment