Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Two Things

Today is my sister's birthday.
She died in 1985 just a month shy of her 23rd birthday.
Today she has been dead for as long as she was alive.

I wish I could feel her presence.
It's to the point where I don't even miss her anymore, because as I said, she's been gone as long as she lived. After 23 years you sort of get used to not seeing - or even expecting to see someone.
But I think she sent me some gifts today.

One, when I went to my new job for orientation and to negotiate my salary.
See, I've never been great at negotiating. I prayed about it, and tried to prepare to stand my ground. But when their first offer is the figure that you were hoping for - I don't see the need to dicker any further!
I say - leave well enough alone!!
That is God at work. Maybe my sister handled the negotiation before I got there.

Oh. How about the fact that when I arrived and approached the receptionist/admin assistant she turned to me and said, "Oh good! You got the job!"
I smiled and replied, "Yes. Thanks."
"I was hoping you would get it. When you came for the interview you were just so nice and fun."

Wow. Talk about a first impression! (For the record, I liked her instantly too.)

She told me that she asked the manager who he hired but then couldn't remember which face went with which name - (they interviewed 16 candidates!) - so seeing me confirmed that the dark horse she was backing was indeed the winner.
How sweet is that?!

The other gift - or at least surprise - was Mr. Burns calling out of the blue.
I can choose to believe that my sister knew that I'm waiting for some answers, to know how he is doing - and really - just to know that he wanted to call.

Quite possible she arranged that too.
Isn't that what big sisters are for?

No comments:

Post a Comment