Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Giver

That jazzy little tune lit up my cell phone again. It was Mr. Burns calling from an airport in middle America on his way home for Thanksgiving.

He just called to tell me that he was reading Luke Chapter 6, in which as Mr. Burns puts it, giving of oneself to others is discussed. (I just read it and I don't see the exact same thing he did... but I guess that doesn't matter) what matters is the message he received by reading it this time through.

He had to tell me that it made him realize that I really gave myself in our relationship. That I just gave and gave and gave. And that, in that realization, he realized too that he didn't give. That he held back, that he didn't even think about giving.

"So I just wanted to thank you for showing me that. You showed me what it's like when someone gives you everything. And I am ashamed now, that I didn't see it at the time, and mostly for not knowing how to give back."

I almost cried. It means a lot to have someone realize just how much you love them. And hurts a little to know they didn't know what to do with it.

And I hated to say it, but he's right. It occurred to me a few days earlier that I gave everything in that relationship and that he didn't make much effort.
I'm not saying that to puff myself up. Just that I realized it. And if that is going on in your relationship, recognize it and fix it.

He continued, "It hurts me to tell you that I failed. But it's the truth."


I guess that's one more thing to be grateful for this Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment