Thursday, September 2, 2010

Countdown to TIFF: 2004 in Review

TIFF 2004


This was a rather tough year for me. Four days into the festival an uncle, whom I was very close to, passed away. This obviously made the festival less exciting for me as the fiction on screen could not mask the pain of real life. However, one of the bright spots of the festival was being able to see, what would become one of my favourite movies in recent years, Oldboy.


Total Number of Films Watched: 23

My Top 5:

Oldboy
The Sea Inside
5 X 2 – Five Times Two
Palindromes
Kontroll

Honourable Mention: Enduring Love, Primer, Siblings, Sucker Free City, Cronicas, Breaking News (mainly for the wonderful opening tracking shot)

The Disappointments: Phil the Alien, Seven Times Lucky, Arsene Lupin, Steamboy, Trauma


The Whale Riders (aka. I regret passing on these films): Sideways, Hotel Rwanda, Kung Fu Hustle, Nobody Knows, Millions, Tarnation, Kinsey, Double Dare

Memorable Moment: While seeing Javier Bardem, Todd Solondz, and Alejandro Amenábar was one of the highlights, the most memorable moment was watching The Machinist. I had the unfortunate luck of having to watch the film the morning after my uncle passed away. It was excruciating watching Christian Bale wither away on screen. I could not help but think of my uncles last days while watching the film. To this day I am still unable to watch The Machinist again due to the memories it evokes.

Random Star Sightings: Javier Bardem, Daniel Craig, Colin Firth, Todd Solondz, Alejandro Amenábar, Anthony Mackie, Ken Leung, Rhys Ifans, Don McKellar, François Ozon, Emily Mortimer

No comments:

Post a Comment