Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Countdown to TIFF: 2003 in Review

TIFF 2003



I learned a valuable lesson at the 2003 Toronto International Film Festival, in the end, everything about TIFF is based on luck. No matter how much research you do, you never truly know what you are going to get until you are in the theatre and the film is actually playing. I learned this as I sat through, what seemed like, all the bad French films that played that year. This is not to say that there were not several good French films available; it just happened that I somehow manage to pick everything but the good ones. 2003 was the weakest year for me in regards to the ratio of good films to bad ones that I watched.

Total Number of Films Watched: 31

My Top 5:

Dogville
Lost In Translation
The Station Agent
A Good Lawyer’s Wife
Elephant

Honourable Mention: 21 Grams, Sexual Dependency, November, Casa de los Babys, Code 46, The Time of the Wolf, Save the Green Planet, The Boys from County Claire

The Disappointments: In the Cut, Twentynine Palms, A Problem With Fear, Errance, Wonderland, Raja, Who Killed Bambi?


The Whale Riders (a.k.a. I regret passing on these films): The Barbarian Invasion, Zatoichi, The Fog of War, Bus 174, Shattered Glass, Good Bye, Lenin!, Coffee & Cigarettes, Les Triplettes de Belleville, Matchstick Men.

Memorable Moment: Getting to see both Dogville and Lost In Translation as they were high on my “must see” list.

Random Star Sightings: Gus Van Sant, Woody Harrelson, Jane Campion, John Sayles, Darryl Hannah, Marcia Gay Harden, Lili Taylor, Thomas Jane, Sang-Soo Im

No comments:

Post a Comment