Friday, June 18, 2010

Fricassee Five Friday: Tom Hanks

Spiced Just Right


Toy Story 2
Toy Story 2 is one of my all time favourite Pixar flicks. In my opinion it is the definitive moment when Pixar proved that they were here to stay. Toy Story 2 reminded us that great animation and strong stories are both needed to make a successful animated feature.

Big
This film still holds up well, it takes me back to my youth when I see it. Seriously, who did not want to be in that keyboard playing scene?

Forrest Gump
It was hard to exclude Philadelphia from this list but there simply was not enough room. Out of Hanks’ two Oscar winning performances, Forrest Gump is the film that has the greater replay value.

A League of Their Own
“There is no crying in baseball” A classic line that I have said to myself many times on the softball field. Tom Hanks gives a great performance in this film while still allowing his female co-stars to shine as well.

Saving Private Ryan
Here is another example of too many quality films and not enough space for them all. Not only is Saving Private Ryan a great war movie, it also help to pave the way for both Band of Brothers and The Pacific.


Lay Off The Cheese



The Bonfire of the Vanities
I have seen this film a few times and I still cannot figure what they were trying to achieve? The film does not work as a dark comedy, it is too light to be a serious drama, and none of the characters are likeable to begin with.

Joe Versus the Volcano
Remember when Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan were the brief face of romantic comedies? Sure they have great chemistry together but it did not really meld perfectly until Sleepless in Seattle. Joe was just too silly to work any level.

The Polar Express
I never understood the love that this film received from both critics and movie goers. The animation did not reach the level of realism it strived for; and the story was as engaging as you would hope from a Christmas tale. No matter how hard the studio tries, The Polar Express is not going to be considered a holiday classic in my books. I would rather watch A Christmas Story than this film any day.

That Thing You Do!
Tom Hanks feature film directorial debut had its moment but was ultimately a rather forgettable film.

Turner & Hooch
Before mall cops were all the rage, Hollywood had a fascination with lawmen and their dogs. Both Turner & Hooch and K-9 were released in the same year and both were erased from my mind a year later. If I had to choose one over the other I would pick K-9; but that is the equivalent on picking being punched in the face over being kicked in the groin.

No comments:

Post a Comment