Friday, June 11, 2010

Fricassee Five Friday: Liam Neeson


Spiced Just Right




Kinsey
A biopic not only needs to tell a good story, but it should also inspire you to learn more about the subject. This film did just that. Sadly Neeson got snubbed when the Oscar nominations rolled around that year.

Batman Begins
There is a common perception that avid comic book readers are never satisfied by comic-to-film adaptations. Personally this is not the case when dicussing Batman Begins. There is not a single thing I would change in this film.

Schindler’s List
There are several times in the film when Neeson’s co-stars steal his thunder. Regardless he gives a great performance throughout. It is hard to not be moved by this great film.

Taken
Okay calling it one of his best may be a bit of a stretch. Truth be told I could easily have placed Breakfast on Pluto in this spot.  Still, I have an odd love for Taken. It is a guilty pleasure that entertained me far more than most of the big budget movies released in that year.

Rob Roy
Liam Neeson and Jessica Lange were great in this film. Unfortunately Rob Roy had the bad luck of being released mere weeks apart from Mel Gibson’s Braveheart. We all know how that turned out.


Lay Off The Cheese



Kingdom of Heaven
I actually watched this film over the course of three separate viewings. I kept falling asleep at different parts each time. Kingdom of Heave is my version of NyQuil.

The Haunting
When the only positive thing a person can say about a movie is “it has Catherine Zeta-Jones playing the sexy lesbian”, as friend once said to me, you know the it is garbage. I avoided the The Haunting when it was in theatres, but I made the mistake of renting it on video. Either way it was a no win situation.

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
Is it wrong that I think Qui-Gon Jinn showed more life in the Lego Star Wars video game? I cannot even blame Liam for this film. All the acting in the film, as well as the story, had to take a backseat to the visuals.

Nell
This is one of those films that probably worked well on the stage but as a film it was painful to sit through.

K-19: The Widowmaker
While I was not expecting something as memorable as Das Boot, I was hoping it would at least entertain me. Frankly I found The Hunt for Red October and Crimson Tide to be better films than this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment