Friday, December 18, 2009

Remembering 2008 Before Reflecting on 2009

As the year is coming to a close many “Best of 2009” and “Best of the Decade” lists are popping up all over the place. While I will have my Best of the Decade list up in the next week or so, I usually do my “Best of [insert year]” at the end of January since several of the December limited releases do not go wide in Toronto until the New Year. Unfortunately I procrastinated on posting my "Best of 2008" in January and figured it would have been rather odd posting it during the summer. Now seems like the best time to finally get the list out of the way. Especially since I have been thinking a lot about last year’s strong crop of films in comparison to this year’s much weaker batch. So far 2008 is still the stronger of the two.

Best Films of 2008

10. Wendy and Lucy



9. Doubt



8. Milk



7. Wall-E



6. (Tie) I’ve Loved You So Long and Rachel Getting Married – Similar themes, great performances, and both are powerful films...but for different reasons.





5. The Visitor



4. The Wrestler – Second favourite film at TIFF ’08



3. Slumdog Millionaire – Favourite film at TIFF ‘08



2. Let the Right One In



1. The Dark Knight



Honorable Mentions: Man on Wire, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, The Bank Job, Waltz With Bashir, Tropic Thunder, Iron Man, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, JCVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment