Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Black Dynamite Month


Recently The LAMB announced that they were bringing back their Movie of the Month feature. The LAMB is asking bloggers to watch this month's selected film, Black Dynamite, and write something related to the film. As a big fan of the film, I decided to post ten random things I love about Black Dynamite:

1. “Haha! I threw that s*** before I walked in the room!” – Hands down the best line of the movie!

2. Dynamite the ladies man – Black Dynamite not only beds three women at once, but the camera pans out to reveal that there are two more women passed out in the bed as well. Even James Bond has never been that successful with the ladies.

3. Gloria – I have been a fan of Salli Richardson-Whitfield ever since I saw her in Posse back in 1993. While she has several great moments in the film, I quite enjoy the way she inspects the girls to see if there is any relation to Dynamite.



4. Interrupting his Kung Fu – Many will quote the “how many times have I told you not to call here and interrupt my Kung Fu!” line which, in itself, is funny. Yet what makes this scene special for me is the guy on the ground who tries his hardest to escape Black Dynamite only to run into...Black Dynamite.

5. Cream Corn – I always enjoy Tommy Davidson’s work on In Living Color and I thought he did a great job as Cream Corn. From his "I'm Running Thangs" delivery to the foot chase that proceeds the line, Cream Corn is pure gold.

6. Shootout at Jimmy’s apartment – The music lets you know that there is going to be bad guys hidden inside. I also like how the car starts to roll away from the villain before he can fully get inside.

7. Jimmy’s death scene – Trying to be a gangster from the hood, yet speaking like a Shakespeare-trained thespian, Baron Vaughn is hilarious in his brief role as Black Dynamite’s brother Jimmy.



8. Anaconda Malt Liquor – What starts off as a spoof on the cheesy commercials of the era turns into one of the best sight gags in recent years.

9. Captain Kangaroo Pimp – Just the fact that they thought of having a Captain Kangaroo type character in the film is great.

10. Bullhorn’s Slap - It is a brief gag but man does it work well. I love that, instead of cutting the footage all together, the director just brings in another actor to finish the scene.



Be sure to stop by The LAMB this Saturday to see all the Black Dynamite related posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment